Shipped product may look slightly different.
Indie Computing Corp.
UBOSbox Nextcloud on Raspberry Pi –
Home Server (kit)
Price: from $249 only $189
- Complete kit for the enthusiast; physical assembly (but no software installation) required
- Nextcloud: the leading open-source, self-hosted productivity platform (auto-installs)
- Easy day-to-day management: upgrades, backups, network configuration and more are just a single command
- No setup scripts to run: innovative UBOS Staff included for point-and-click setup; no keyboard or monitor required.
- LetsEncrypt for A+ web security; integration with Pagekite for remote access over the public internet without fiddling with routers (optional)
What's in the box
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- Desktop Pi enclosure, mSATA adapter and real-time clock
- 120GB mSATA SSD disk
- Universal power supply with plugs for EU, UK, US, AUS
- Ethernet cable
- UBOS Linux pre-installed
- Nextcloud and selected apps (latest version that has passed testing auto-installs on first boot)
- UBOS Staff (USB stick for system administration)
- Assembly instructions and getting started guide
About the Nextcloud application
Nextcloud is the leading open-source web platform for decentralized file management and many related activities. Its functionality is similar to Dropbox, Google Calendar and other cloud services, although Nextcloud is free and open-source, allowing anyone to install and operate it on a private server without vendor lock-in.
Growing concern over on-line spying leads many people to seek out privacy-protecting alternatives to the websites of the dominant internet platforms. UBOSbox Nextcloud provides many of the same features as cloud offerings, but they run on a computer the user has physical control over. Unlike with cloud services, users can review the entire source code on UBOSbox, monitor all of its operations if they like, and extend and integrate as they wish.
Nextcloud "apps" extend its core functionality. UBOSbox Nextcloud automatically installs the following Nextcloud apps:
- Calendar: group calendaring functionality (similar to Google calendar)
- Contacts: address book
- Mail: web-based e-mail (requires separate e-mail provider, such as Gmail)
- News: RSS news aggregator
- Notes: note-taking application
- Talk ("Spreed"): group text chat
- Tasks: task management
Many other apps are available as free add-ons.
Why UBOS Linux
The usual Linux distributions (like Ubuntu or Fedora) try to do all things for all people; and so they do none particularly well.
UBOS Linux does only one thing, and it is optimized for that: making the self-hosting of apps such as Nextcloud much simpler. We do this by making ongoing administration much simpler, much faster, and much more reliable, even for non-expert Linux users. UBOS is based on Arch Linux, one of the most modern and advanced Linux distributions in existence. For example:
- Upgrade your entire UBOSbox, from Operating System to Nextcloud: one command and done.
- Back up Nextcloud (including files and database) to an external disk or to the cloud: one command and done. Encrypts your backup first, if you like.
- Check the health of your UBOSbox, from detecting about-to-fail disks to excessive load: one command and done.
- And much more. You get the picture: all administration tasks on UBOS are one command and done. Why buy a pre-configured server if you still have to edit system files, or take just as much time for system administration as if you built your server from scratch?
Full UBOS documentation is available here, but don't worry, your UBOSbox comes with a postcard-sized cheat sheet that contains all you need to know.
|Hardware||Price (US Dollars)|
||$249 $189 Buy|
- UBOS Linux armv7h (pre-installed)
- Nextcloud (auto-installs on first boot)
- Nextcloud apps: calendar, contacts, news, notes, talk, tasks (auto-install on first boot)
- Configured firewall
Note on the Raspberry Pi 4
The Raspberry Pi 4 was recently released. However, at this time, the Pi 4 isn't quite ready to be used as a reliable home server: it cannot boot from a disk yet — only from an SD card, and those tend to be unreliable; also, no enclosures are available yet that fit the Pi 4 and a disk. It's also more expensive in most configurations.
So we recommend you purchase this product at this time that's based on the Pi 3 Model B+ or a UBOSbox based on the Intel NUC.
Note on delivery times
The Pi 3 Model B+ is currently in short supply. Delivery times may be a few days longer than usual.
What customers say
- You created a simple, straightforward installation that doesn't require countless commands in the shell. Great job!
- -- Fred M.
- UBOS is amazing!
- -- Kim D.
- Thank you for your patience and help!
- -- Tom B.
- Thanks for keeping [our] websites humming.
- -- Gerry G.
- [Your product] brings the safe internet we urgently need much closer.
- -- Chris D.
- I want you to know that we have been very happy with your hosting.
- -- Peter K.
- Great implementation of a powerful concept!
- -- Ethan M.
- Wow - great support!
- -- Devin B.