Indie Computing Corp.
UBOS Live –
- Managed operating system upgrades
- Managed application upgrades
- Remote system diagnostics
- Remote troubleshooting if needed
Why UBOS Live?
Computers, unfortunately, have to be supervised and maintained to be running reliably and securely. This is true for desktops, laptops, and mobile devices, and even more so for servers.
Users have been conditioned to try fixing problems on their computers by hunting down instructions with Google based on cryptic error messages. Everybody has stories to tell! That works most of the time … but it does not work so well for servers, which require a different skill set to maintain than PCs do. They often do not even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse with them in the closet that they were tucked into!
Most of the world’s servers are owned by companies who hire specialized information technology staff to keep their servers running. While this solves the problem, obviously this solution would be prohibitively expensive for a home user or small business owner.
But thanks to the automation provided by UBOS, the Linux distribution that runs on UBOSbox home/office servers, much of the administration work of home/office servers running UBOS can be automated. This is what UBOS Live does. And for the hopefully rare cases where human intervention is required, think of UBOS Live as the outsourced information technology staff that will take care of it over the internet.
Who is this for
We believe UBOS Live is an attractive service for:
- people who want somebody else to take care of server administration for them. Just like they might hire somebody else to clean their bathrooms or wash the windows, they rely on UBOS Live for server administration.
- people who do not have the skills, or the interest to acquire the skills to become a competent server administrator.
- people who rely on their home/office server for important tasks and data and cannot afford to take the time for unplanned server maintenance just when the taxes are due, or some other deadline.
Conversely, if you like fiddling with computers and don’t mind if your home/office server is down for some time, UBOS Live is not for you. For you, we offer UBOS boxes that does not include UBOS Live.
Periodic operating system upgrades, to keep your system running smoothly, and have security patches automatically applied on a regular basis.
Application upgrades. When a new version of Nextcloud is released, we do some testing, and once that passes, we automatically update it on your server. The same happens for upgrades to application extensions, such as Nextcloud apps.
Periodic system diagnostics. We will run period health checks on your server, such as the health of the hard drive, and how much disk space you have left. When there is an important event you should know about, we notify you by e-mail with actions that we recommend you take.
And if something goes wrong that needs manual intervention, we can do that over the network.
We expect to add additional features to UBOS Live as they become available. So if you subscribe to UBOS Live, your subscription might become more valuable over time!
Frequently asked questions
How do I sign up?
UBOS Live is included in Application Hosting. It will become available on UBOSbox shortly.
Can I turn it off?
Yes! Any time.
All code running on UBOSbox home/office servers is publicly available on the @uboslinux Github account, or referenced from there (obviously, most of Linux source code is maintained elsewhere). So there are no secrets on your box, and you can log into it with ssh any time if you are a geek.
Only one caveat: if you make any changes to your UBOSbox yourself, we may not be able to continue maintaining it with UBOS Live. UBOS Live is only viable if we can automate pretty much everything, and any modification made by a customer to the product can break our automation.
In summary: we do not lock you in and you are free to cut the cord any time. However, if you do so, or make any changes to your UBOSbox yourself, you will lose the peace of mind of UBOS Live and are entirely responsible for maintaining your UBOSbox yourself.
Will you have remote access to my server?
If you subscribe to UBOS Live, yes. Just like any system administrator, we need to be able to:
- upgrade your software
- check whether you run out of disk space
- check the health of your hard drive
and things like that. This requires us to have remote access. If you are not comfortable with this, UBOS Live is not for you and you need to find some other way to keep your home/office server humming.
Note: if you are not inclined to trust us with your personal data, you should not buy a UBOSbox either, because if we intended to screw you, there would be many other ways we could do that.
If you are technically inclined, you can monitor what we do to your server.
What customers say
- You created a simple, straightforward installation that doesn’t require countless commands in the shell. Great job!
- – Fred M.
- UBOS is amazing!
- – Kim D.
- Thank you for your patience and help!
- – Tom B.
- [Your product] brings the safe internet we urgently need much closer.
- – Chris D.
- Thanks for keeping [our] websites humming.
- – Gerry G.
- I want you to know that we have been very happy with your hosting.
- – Peter K.
- Great implementation of a powerful concept!
- – Ethan M.
- Wow - great support!
- – Devin B.
- Everything worked as directed. Love it.
- – Brett P.